Caring for Families
Connecting to Resources
Collaborating with Key Organizations
Our Mission: Feed, house and educate families in need and work with agencies and organizations in the community to provide additional services.
Our Vision: A Community of healthy and safe children and families.
Our Work: We are the lead agency for the local Collaborative and the agency that most families in need contact when support is sought. The Collaborative Coordinator and staff field calls from families and link them to needed services and supports as well as responding to agency needs for assistance.
Our Focus: We will coordinate programs and services with partner agencies to improve stability for all children and families with an emphasis on reducing child neglect.
We are part of the Georgia Family Connection Partnership of county collaborates, the largest statewide network of communities on the nation, which has made a commitment to improve results for children and families. Collaborative members represent human service providers, community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, county school system, business and civic leaders and concerned citizens.
We serve as a support to the local decision-making body or collaborative and help to develop a plan with strategies to improve results in five areas:
- Healthy Children
- Children primed for school
- Children succeeding in school
- Stable, self-sufficient, productive families
- Thriving communities
Our Current Initiatives/Involvement:
- Community Food Pantry
- Darkness 2 Light
- Mammogram Mobile Clinic
- Quarterly Red Cross Blood Drive
- Community Prevention Awareness Workgroup
- CPAW – Positive Social Norms Campaign
- Job Search Center – computer available for people to use
- Homeless Day Services – provide access to showers, laundry, kitchen and food
- Ferst Foundation – book program with Rotary Club of Blue Ridge
- Bright from the Start – Summer lunch program for children
- Poverty Simulation was conducted and workgroup was organized
Fannin County Family Connection Collaborative Description:
Fannin County Family Connection was formed in 1996 and was part of the original 45 counties that were formed under the Georgia Family Connection Partnership. Family Connection quickly became the leading organization for children and families in Fannin County. The Collaborative consists of all the agencies and organizations in Fannin County who work on behalf of children and families and decisions are made through this collaborative process.
The Collaborative has positioned itself as a non-profit focusing on networking and relationships; connecting both the general public to partners and partners to each other. While there is no one sentence to explain what Georgia Collaborative does, the tag line says it all, “Helping People Help Others”.
The collaborative meets on a monthly basis, except June and July. At these meetings, the group comes together to discuss issues affecting Fannin County families, to build community awareness of local challenges and successes, and to develop strategy teams to identify, evaluate, and address common goals.
Family Connection has also initiated several products/activities:
- Boys & Girls Club of Fannin County was first talked about at one of our Collaborative meetings and we invited the director from Pickens County to help get started. They began their program in August of 2017 for students in Fannin County.
- Teen Maze, an event of realistic life-situations and consequences for 9th and 10th graders on the choices they make early in life and what can come from those choices. The situations faced were alcohol & drug use, unprotected sex, pregnancy, and dating violence and the consequences of the choices made.
- Clothes Closet at Family Connection provides free clothing to families and individuals in the community.
- Child Care Expansion in collaboration with Boys & Girls Club of Fannin County, Fannin County Recreation Department, and faith-based organizations to expand child care opportunities for families.
- Transportation Availability for Fannin County – conduct annual assessment of Mountain Area Transportation System to determine if additional services can be brought to the community.
- Poverty Awareness Workgroup is in the process of accessing the community and determine resources and activities to mitigate effects of poverty in our community.
- Resource Directory is a website based information site that has the available resources in our county listed by categories. We are still in the process of development with this product.